God's house is for all who love God
by Sister Agnes Fischer
Isaiah in Sunday's first reading tells us to look out for the rights of everyone. The Canaanite lady in the Gospel is one of my favorites in the New Testament. Even being a foreigner, she knew her rights and was not afraid to speak up for them.
- Children have the right, not only to be born, but also to a full and rewarding life.
- Women have the right not to be considered a consumer’s object.
- Spouses have the right to their partner’s fidelity and love.
- Employees have the right to be treated with dignity in a safe work environment.
- Business owners have the right to honest labor from their employees.
- Our elderly have the right to our love, understanding and help.
- Foreigners and refugees have the right to live in safety and to be welcome in our communities.
What am I doing to ensure these rights even as I guard my own?