In a nutshell, Jesus tells us that words and thoughts matter
by Sister Agnes Fischer
Just after a beautiful lesson on the beatitudes, Jesus instructs His disciples what not to do.
Jesus speaks about judging others. If we judge a sister or brother, we are the ones who will be liable for judgment, not them. He then talks about anger. He tells us that if we get angry or use abusive language we will be held in contempt.
- How often do I speak words that are neither just nor appropriate?
- Why do I do this?
Jesus warns us about the danger of thoughts of impurity, adultery, divorce or making false oaths or pledges. He ends with these words: “Say ‘Yes’ when you mean yes and ‘No’ when you mean no.”
- To what is Jesus challenging me?
- Do I take Jesus’ words seriously?
- Do I strive to live as He calls us to live?
- Is there more love in the world because of my being around?
Every day, every moment, I have a choice!
- What will I choose today?