by Sister Charlene Hockers
published January 2016
In this Jubilee Year of Mercy, Pope Francis asks us to “gaze more attentively on mercy.” How do we do that? The corporal and spiritual works of mercy can be our guidelines. Here are some examples:
- To feed the hungry: donate to a food pantry
- To clothe the naked: check out your closets
- To visit the sick: such as in hospitals and nursing homes
- To instruct the ignorant: volunteer in a classroom
- To bear wrongs patiently: send “love energy” to that person
- To forgive offenses: be the first to say “I’m sorry” or “please forgive me”
These and many other daily activities are some ways to experience or grow in mercy. Will you accept the challenge?
Stay in touch -- This story originally appeared in the Sisters' newsletter. Subscribe to our FREE printed newsletter (issued five times a year) and our FREE e-spiritual reflections (weekly). We enjoy hearing from you so visit our “Send a Greeting to Sister” page and say hello. Thank you and God bless!