Sister Urban Schumacher was born in Green Bay in 1925, the fourth of eight children in the family of Clara (Schauer) and Urban Schumacher. She attended St. Matthew School, Allouez, and after two years at Cathedral High in Green Bay she entered St. Francis Convent in 1941.
Sister Urban taught the primary grades at St. Joseph School, Marinette, and grades 1 to 4 at St. Isidore, Osman, and St. Joan of Arc School, Goodman. In 1952 she attended Viterbo College in La Crosse where she graduated with a music education degree in 1955. She taught music at St. Boniface School, De Pere, and St. Matthew School, Allouez. She taught at St. Francis Pre-Novitiate in Robinsonville (Champion), until the aspirancy closed in 1968. She then returned to St. Matthew School to teach social studies in the junior high department.
Sister Urban served the Community as General Secretary, as General Council Member and was elected to Leadership in 1973. Upon completion of her term in office, she attended Notre Dame University as a participant in the Religious Leaders Program. After a year of study she accepted an assignment with Holy Innocents Parish in Manitowoc as Director of Worship, a position she held for 10 years. In 1992 Sister Urban returned to the Motherhouse where she began working as an archivist for the Community, a ministry she continued for 15 years.
In retirement, Sister Urban served as sacristan; she coordinates liturgical ministries at the Motherhouse and shares in music ministry for the liturgical services.
Rooted in the Cross, Word, and Eucharist ... compassionately responding through prayer, presence, and hospitality.
3110 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, Wisconsin 54311-7212